A bit about Intersog
Intersog® is a Chicago-based provider of software engineering, custom development, and IT consulting solutions. We help companies address IT talent by building dedicated software development teams either locally in the USA / Canada / Mexico or in our R&D centers in Ukraine.
A bit about the project/client
The Senior Ruby Engineer will be part of an agile development team, building, and working on enterprise-grade software systems composed of primarily Ruby on Rails, PostgreSQL, React, GraphQL, and various AWS services. The Senior Software Engineer will be a key member of the engineering team; partnering and collaborating with other engineers to continuously improve our software within the principles of AWS Well-Architected Framework (https://aws.amazon.com/architecture/well-architected). The Senior Ruby Engineer will contribute to technical and team leadership through coaching, mentorship, peer review, and pairing.
Essential Job Functions:
- Write effective and scalable code in Ruby
- Build back-end components for web applications
- Develop, design, and document API services in GraphQL
- Assist in team development efforts towards successful software delivery
- Maintain high standards of software quality within the team
- Maintain high standards in security best practices and privacy in software solutions
- Assist with technical requirements and development of user stories particularly in non-product owned areas like technical debt, architecture, data modeling, etc.
- Design, develop, unit test software
- Participate in peer-reviews of design, architecture, and code of software solutions
- Support deployment and release planning
- Analyze and resolve technical and software application problems
- Participate in urgent support issues escalated to engineering
- Strive for continuous improvement and assess opportunities for application and process improvement in all areas of software engineering
- Research and evaluate a variety of software products
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- 5+ years of software engineering experience with web-based software products.
- Strong understanding of agile practices and software development life cycle.
- Comprehensive object-oriented understanding and software development skills.
- Strong skills in various web software technologies; especially Ruby, Rails, GraphQL, etc.
- Strong understanding of various data storage solutions; PostgreSQL preferred.
- Solid understanding of API and microservice architecture design and development.
- Solid understanding of cloud architecture and cloud services.
- Extensive experience designing and developing enterprise-grade software.
- Experience with source code control management systems; Git preferred.
- Experience with continuous integration and continuous deployment.
- Experience delivering software within an agile development methodology.
- Experience performing code reviews.
- Experience debugging, performance profiling, and optimization.
- The ability and desire to work cooperatively with others on a team, giving and taking feedback to improve the product and work output.
- Ability to take guidance and direction from team lead, and team and product management.
- Strong organizational, administration, presentation, project management, and communication skills (both verbal and written) with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to maintain the highest level of confidentiality, integrity, and ethical practice.
- Ability to meet goals of software engineering leadership and the organization.